Monday 25 November 2013

'Life is a rollercoaster, you've just gotta ride it'

Yes, the title is a reference to that Ronan Keating track that we all secretly love. It seems quite appropriate to describe this past week.

It all started well with last Thursday night. It was Tía Marga's birthday (Aina and Núria's mum) so we all went round to their flat for some traditional Mallorcan food to celebrate. This included some of my favourites such as Coca- a type of cheese-less pizza and Empanadas- a pie style pastry filled with pees and chicken which has hands down won FOOD OF THE WEEK. Delightful

Coca

FOOD OF THE WEEK- An Empanada
Later that night, I went on a meandering tour around the streets of Palma stopping off at the various live music venues as I was going along. The first stop was at a place called Espai Xocolat, a Catalan record shop/bar where I had purchased the new HAIM album, Days Are Gone, earlier that day. Whilst purchasing aforementioned CD, I noticed a band called Little Lion Man Trio were playing a show there to promote their new album. As a big Mumford & Sons fan, I couldn't resist seeing a band who named themselves after one of M&S's best songs. Unfortunately due to all the festivities beforehand, I didn't arrive until the very end of the band's set however I was there in time to hear their cover of Mumfords' 'Little Lion Man' with a very significant Brazilian Bossa Nova twist to it that gave the song a whole different edge to it that I never thought was possible.

La Rambla at night

Illuminati in Palma :O


I then descended on the La Lonja area of the city centre as I had done several weeks previously plus a minor detour to the Blue Jazz Club on the banks of the Torrent de Sa Riera. The venue is at the top of the four star Hotel Saratoga with a great view of the city however I didn't stay long . It's not that I didn't like the music or the place, it was because I felt hideously out of place with many people in their finest get-up while I was there in my trainers, Alt-J t-shirt and chinos. If I go back there again, I'll have to make sure I dress up a bit more for the occasion! By far the most fun I had all night was at the Jazz Voyeur Club where I saw a Spanish Jazz/Funk/Rock and Roll band called the Funky Crackers. They played a good mix of well-known songs such as Daft Punk's 'Get Lucky' and Stevie Wonder's 'Superstition' as well as a few original songs which were led and sung very well in English by the lead singer who you could tell was really enjoying himself. After they played their second set, I went up to him to congratulate him on his singing ability in my very best Spanish and to say that as a singer myself, I could empaphise with how difficult it is to sing in a language that isn't your own. One thing led to another and the next thing I know, I'm up on the stage belting out the Jimi Hendrix classic 'All Along The Watchtower'! I'm sure my mates Blank Cheque would have approved.

Funky Crackers at the Jazz Voyeur Club

Up on stage doing my thing

Fraser and the Funky Crackers- it does have a good ring to it!
Before heading home, the final phase of my night was along the Paseo Maritimo where I strolled into the Three Lions English pub to check out the live music there. The band was like many of the fairly terrible rock-cover bands that you see performing on most nights out in Palma however as this was the first time I'd entered this particular establishment, I couldn't help admiring its passion for Football. The walls and ceiling in the Three Lions are scattered with logos and crests of just about every pro-football team on the planet plus with Sky Sports News on in the background it felt a lot like being at a pub back home. I then went next door to the Shamrock for a few minutes to check out their live music which was yet another rock band however this one had a rather eccentric lead singer who was dancing and shaking his stuff around in a Mick Jagger-esque fashion. Despite the enjoyment of the band with the lady-hipped singer, my tiredness got the better of me thus I ended what was a very enjoyable night on the town.
Torrent de Sa Riera at night

Southampton in the Three Lions

Live band

Lots and lots of crests

Good old Stocky. Never knew it was 'The Friendly Football Club'

Norwich City representing


Music in the Shamrock, this picture accurately sums up the atmosphere I think
The Sunday was one of my worst days for a long time as I received the sad news that my Grandpa had passed away in the early hours of the morning. When someone has been a fixture in your life for the best part of 19 years it is hard to imagine life without them and makes you realise how valuable quality time with loved ones truly is. "Gramps" as we affectionately called him, was a very kind-hearted, supportive man who was always interested in what I got up to. From a very young age, our family trips to see both Gran and Gramps in Norwich have been a personal highlight of mine and have given me many happy memories. There isn't any one in particular that stands out to me but it's all the little things that matter. Shockingly, as a youngster, I was very much an early-bird who would be up at 6/7 sometimes 5AM to watch kids TV or videos but despite my unreasonable rising, Gramps would come downstairs in his dressing gown and help turn on the TV or video player for me before starting breakfast. I loved how he introduced the three of us to the board game 'Sorry!' and he would always play as the green team. Often, we would talk about how Norwich were getting on in the football amongst many other subjects. Knowing we will never have those times again or being able to say goodbye one last time is painful and it has been difficult for all of us in the family to grasp. This is compounded for Imogen and I considering how far away from home we are right now with very few people around us who can really share our grief (not entirely sure if that's the right expression). Fortunately, I have an amazing host family out here who have been supportive and understanding. I also had some lovely skype conversations with Imo plus two of my best friends Josh and Natalia on Tuesday which really helped pick my spirits up and get me back into a positive frame of mind. I know he is in a better place now, Rest In Peace Gramps

I don't have great access to family photos at the moment but here's one of a more youthful me with Gramps on Christmas day in 2009. The laptop I'm holding is coincidentally the very one I am writing this post on right now.
To finish on a more positive note, one thing I have greatly enjoyed doing during the weeks in Palma is my little wanders around the city centre while the kids are at Music. During this week's wander, I stumbled upon an Art Gallery called Museu Fundación de Juan March which is just off the Plaza Mayor. Considering it was free, I decided to get in touch with my arty side and check out the exhibitions. There were many nice pieces of modern art inside including works by famous artists such as Salvador Dalí and Pablo Picasso which really caught the eye and I couldn't resist going around taking tons of picture yet standing in the CCTV blindspots when doing so as I had no idea whether it was okay to take pictures or not. I also discovered a lovely church nearby but more interestingly I managed to find a small tea shop. Maybe the Spanish don't hate tea as much as I thought they did!

PICTURES FROM MY WEEKLY WANDERS- A church

Placa d'Espanya

Outside the public library

Tea shop!




Weather-wise, it looks as if we have now finally slipped into full winter mode after a weekend of non-stop rain and the miserable grey week that followed. Even for me as a Brit, it's no longer acceptable to walk around in shorts and t-shirts which has made for a rather harsh reality check on the amount of warm clothes I have with me. I was left caught out on Wednesday by this as I was struck down with illness and had to go to doctors (a first for me in Spain) to get some meds which after some rest patched me up in time for the next day. I have a nasty feeling all the hot weather that took me so long to get used to here has altered my perception as to what is cold weather so it is safe to say the first few days of my return in the UK are going to be tough ones. As Marta says, the weather changes plans in Spain so I don't predict as much activity in my final three weeks or so here however I will make sure there is still something interesting for me to talk about that's worthy of a weekly blogpost. Below are some shots I took at the Art gallery. Espero que les disfrutéis.

#FraserOnTour

FP

Heads at the Art gallery titled 'Oradores'

I think this is the Dalí one?

Some of Picasso's prints

Picture of the great man Picasso himself





Probably my favourite painting 
Lovely little entrance to the gallery. I swear lovely has become I've overused that word in this post!






No comments:

Post a Comment