Sunday 17 August 2014

Session 6 and NYC


So,

Another session at camp, another blog to go with it. 3...2...1... GO!

By the time session 6 came around I think it's fair to say every member of staff had everything single detail of their job down to a T. The mistakes we would've made during the earlier sessions had all been corrected, we were very familiar with the schedule and daily routines and although certain elements of camp life had become a bit too repetitive we still found the enthusiasm to make them enjoyable for all the campers. I just felt that everything was running like clockwork. However, the session did get off to a rather unfortunate start as our Unit coordinator James and med-tech Bridget (his girlfriend) decided to resign just a few minutes before the campers started arriving. I feel that losing James was another big blow for us in D2 especially as we'd only just got used to life without Braxton around plus, like Braxton, I found James to be one of the more experienced guys at camp who I could trust in just about any situation and was very good at their job. Luckily enough, Jono (a rather experienced member of the leadership team) stepped seamlessly into James' role for the rest of camp, balancing his coordinator role very well with his other leadership role, which allowed for things to continue as normal. I'm really proud of how professional we all were as a cabin during this session but still had the ability to enjoy ourselves at the same time.

Me with Jack at the Bubble Dance



In terms of our campers for the session, I feel we had yet another decent group. We didn't have any wheelchair users (which always makes things easier) but we did have two first time campers which could've presented a challenge however I felt that they adapted very well to life at camp and had an enjoyable week.

Cabin Photo (from left to right)- Me, Gabriel, Nick, Mark, Arvin, Marnix, Conrad, Pedro, Matt, Snoopz


There was a fair bit of fun to be had during the session. The Welcome 'Bubble Dance' kicked things off which was followed by a talent show the next night, Cowboy Day (we dance to 'Cotton-Eye Joe in the Pool), a make-your-own airline night and the customary Camp Olympics, Camp Fire and end of session banquet-the theme was Heroes vs Villains so I covered myself in green paint and went as the Incredible Hulk (one of my favourite costumes!). Session 6 was also the first full session where we had access to the proper camp pool for the entire session which made mine, Ben and Sam's jobs that bit easier when it came to organising the activities we were running.

Playing guitar during the Talent show
Me and Gabriel having fun at the Talent show

Western Dancing on Wild West Day in the pool

Me and Thomas 

CGT Airways: D2 Airways in full flight!

running the Water Sports activity station with Ben for Camp Olympics

Dancing at the Camp Fire

Heroes vs Villains Banquet

Avengers Assemble!










Yep, I think that's about all I can say about Session 6. It may not make much difference to you but I apologise for my writing in these most recent posts as it has taken me a long time to actually record the events that happened so perhaps these posts aren't as detailed as I'd like them to be.

So our penultimate session of camp came to a close and our final between sessions break was upon us. My group of friends and I decided we wanted to finish with a bang so there was only place we could think of going- New York City!
New York skyline from Newark Airport


For a long time I'd always wanted to go to New York as it is one of the world's most iconic cities where so many of my favourite TV shows and films have been set with so many different landmarks to see and take in. I was so excited about going that I didn't even mind the 5 hour journey it took for us to get there from camp! On the first night We parked at Newark Airport, Frank Sinatra's 'New York, New York' playing as we arrived, before catching the train into Manhattan to find our hotel and drop our bags there. As we came out of  Penn station we were greeted in typical New York fashion by the hustle and bustle on many people, a huge array of flashing lights from the traffic and surrounding buildings and the sight of a lit-up Empire State Building in view just a few blocks away. "Wow, this is it" I thought to myself, just like on the big screen. After dropping our stuff at the hotel, it was off to experience Times Square on a Friday night and to celebrate the remaining moments of Ben's birthday. There aren't many other places I've ever been that are as busy as Times Square but all the throngs of tourists, street performers and flashing lights were truly amazing to see.

Times Square at night

Julio, Natalie and I enjoying NYC

we bumped into the NYPD!

 We woke up the next morning for a full day of sightseeing around the Big Apple. Despite getting bizarrely lost on the subway, we first visited the 9/11 Memorial at Ground Zero before a lovely walk along the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty Ferry Pier to get a far off view of lady liberty herself. Wall Street was next before visiting Chinatown and Little Italy (Little Italy being my favourite of the two) then heading back to Times Square where I had my first ever visit to a Hard Rock Café (where Ben and I shared an amazing New York Cheesecake). By this time, most of our group were feeling tired so they went back to the hotel leaving me with a few hours of individual sightseeing. This time I went out east to see the Rockefeller Center, Chrysler Building and continuing on from my nerdy political sightseeing trips in DC and Philadelphia- the UN Headquarters. New York is famous for many things of which Musical Theatre is definitely one of them so there really wasn't any better way to spend an evening than seeing Avenue Q on Broadway- essentially a muppets style musical made for adults. It was definitely one of the funniest and most entertaining musicals I've seen in a while and was definitely worth paying $60+ for.
the new World Trade Center

9/11 Memorial

Statue of Liberty

The Wall Street Bull-there were throngs of Asian tourists around this hence my lovely picture with the woman on the right



Little Italy!

Eating New York Cheesecake with Ben in Hard Rock Café

Rock on!

Rockerfeller Center

Chrysler







UN Selfie


Naked Cowboy
Sam Post-Avenue Q

After Avenue Q finished, we went for a late night stroll around Central Park. We walked for about 25 minutes before stopping by the lake to look out on the New York skyline brilliantly reflecting off the water. It was incredibly beautiful and I honestly could've just stood there for hours on end enjoying the view and doing some deep thinking.

New York at night- Simply breathtaking
On our final day we took things slightly easier as we walked around Grand Central station, The Empire State building (although we didn't have time to go up it) and Bryant Park before ending what was definitely an excellent final break. New York definitely lived up to all the hype and although we did see alot during the two days we were there, I would still like to return sometime to see more of the great city.
Me and Julio found a Spongebob Letter Box!
Empire State

Bryant Park

Right, all aboard for Session 7-the final session of Camp Greentop 2014. I shall be telling you how that turned out in my next post.

FP

#FraserOnTour

No comments:

Post a Comment