Wednesday 13 August 2014

Back to youth (Session 5) and getting our fill of Philly


Heeeeeeeeeeeello,

it's about time I told you about the second half of my summer at Camp Greentop. Let's kick off with session 5. This was a bit of strange session for us in D2 firstly cos it was a return back to the youth session structure (scheduled activities, awards, bronze belt etc.) but also it was our first session with Snoopz as Cabin Leader in place of Braxton meaning as a 4 piece we all needed to give a little bit more towards the general cause if we were going to keep things running smoothly. The good thing for me was that I was permanently sleeping in the cabin as opposed to B1 for the rest of the summer which really helped us pull together as a group and allowed me to create more of a rapport with our campers.

We had a pretty decent cabin of campers during the session who although at times kept us on our toes and tested our patience were still a great group of individuals. I always find it difficult when writing these posts as to how much I can tell you about the campers themselves due to privacy reason but I think I'm allowed to have my favourites of which Kevin was most certainly one of them. He may not have spoken much but he was super helpful, energetic and fully immersed himself and enjoyed camp life so we got on really well. The theme days this session were wacky tacky day (dressing in as weird a fashion as possible) and Camp Olympics which involved me running the Water Sports activity station with Ben as well as getting covered in flour and shaving foam and doing the tug-o-war in between. Lots of messy fun!

me and Kevin at the Welcome Dance

Camp Olympics!
Getting floured


Oswi loving the flour and water shower

Tug-O-War-Nate getting stuck in
Me falling over
diving into the camp pool for the first time this summer
D2 in the pool

Aqua Aerobics


playing Pterodactyl's, T-Rex's and Raptors

me and Kevin leading 'Sunshine Mountain' at the camp fire

Cabin Photo (from left to right)-Pedro, Devin, Scott, Kevin, Marnix, Me, Charles, Snoopz and Matt
The banquet theme for the end of the session was called Night Around The World, one that I most certainly enjoyed. There was a whole array of costumes from various nationalities including France (me), England, Australia, Japan, Ireland and the US which was great fun plus many people told me mine was one of the best costumes of the banquet so that was a little bonus!


Night Around The World Banquet

Scotland and England (Miller and Chris)

Scott and his Aussie Banquet date

Danny, king of the Netherlands

Angleterre contre France

me with Devin

me with Matt

Oswaldo= Sumo Mexicano

Sam and Shelley


So session 5 ended and it was time for another sightseeing break. Our destination this time was Philadelphia, PA. After the 3 and a half hour trip from camp, we arrived feeling a bit apprehensive as our hotel was in a rather run down area of town but luckily we had no problems of note. The next day was spent in the city doing typical tourist things such as visiting the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, JFK Plaza, City hall and of course, the Philadelphia Art Museum where Sylvester Stallone famously ran up those steps in the Rocky movies. As well as the obvious sites, Philadelphia proved to be great for food of which my favourite thing was eating a Philly Cheesesteak at Sonny's-I can now confirm Philly cheesesteak definitely taste much better in Philly! Reading Terminal Market was also an excellent culinary experience with different types of cuisine from all over the world. We also found a bit of time to do some shopping in Macy's where somehow Sean and I managed to bump into a few of the players for AS Roma (Italian football team) who were on a preseason tour in the US!

Independence Hall

FOOD OF THE WEEK: Philly Cheesesteak. Definitely tastes much better when it's made in Philly

The Liberty Bell

L.O.V.E These guys-Me, Sam, Sean and Jess in JFK Plaza

Rocky statue


Me at the top of the 'Rocky steps'

Philadelphia Museum of Art


Reading Terminal Market





Meeting AS Roma players in Macy's


The following day we did a bit more noseying around Philly before driving on back to camp. Philadelphia was definitely an enjoyable break and despite its rough edges I really liked it as a city due to its historical past and multicultural vibe.

So that was Session 5 and Philly. I look forward to telling you all about the last two sessions of camp very soon!

#FraserOnTour

FP

No comments:

Post a Comment