Tuesday 10 December 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Mediterranean Christmas

As my final week in Mallorca begins, it is now time to look back on my penultimate week, one that was very satisfying and largely successful.

We start back at Tuesday when I finally bit the bullet and went for my very first haircut in Spain. This was something I was genuinely worried about doing and I could've waited until I got back home but using the wise words of a certain Eleanor Roosevelt quote- "Do something you're afraid of everyday"- as inspiration, I revised some specific vocab and headed to the hairdressers Josep had suggested. The vocab wasn't anything too snazzy, I told the woman "Quiero que cortes los dos lados, la parte de atrás y un pocito de la cima por favor" which basically translates as the four words one uses at an English barber shop: Short back and sides. Despite my prior apprehension, it all seemed quite unnecessary afterwards. The staff were very friendly and were happy to hold a conversation in Spanish with me, very interested to ask me questions about Manchester and England in general. Overall, for a cut and wash costing 16 euros I couldn't have really asked for a better cut. Nothing lost in translation so no nightmare hair story fortunately.

Before and After: I call this look 'The Espley'. Aquinas people will understand this ;)
 Wednesday was a day of real triumph as after weeks of procrastination and self-motivated hard work, I finally finished my online TEFL course. Although it is maybe 2 weeks later than I had originally planned, the figurative monkey is now off my back and I can focus on other things. I expect a nice certificate in the post when I get home in time to be a well-earned christmas present. The TEFL course has been highly rewarding for me not just as a Linguist but  also as a Teacher and an Au pair and I expect I will be able to apply many aspects of it to my everyday life and future career path. One example of which is that I find I now over-analyse peoples speech when I'm having general conversations and identify what grammar structures they're using, very nerdy I know. It doesn't look that likely that I will be able to use my TEFL during my gap year however it should be really helpful with getting jobs abroad whether that be in the summer between Uni terms or after I graduate. If you're interested in doing a TEFL course (Something I recommend if you're thinking of potentially doing Modern Languages at University) then here's the link to TEFL UK's website: http://www.tefl.org.uk/

JOINT FOOD OF THE WEEK: Bunyols, kind of like mini donuts



JOINT FOOD OF THE WEEK: Arroz al Horno. One of my favourite dishes I've had throughout my whole time in Mallorca

To celebrate my first day of liberation, on Thursday morning I borrowed Marta's bike and rode around Palma filming a rough sightseeing video for my Youtube channel (I'm currently editing it as you read this and it should be up in the next few days) and covering 10 Miles in the process. This allowed me to revisit some of the locations I've enjoyed over the past few months and to capture a place in Mallorca that many Magaluf goers or families looking for a cosy beach holiday may often miss when they come here. Part of my video involves going to the Arab Baths in the old town section of the city, one of the few surviving remnants of Arab influence from the Moors occupation of the island. For 2 Euros you can check out what is a very tranquil garden and an interesting bathhouse which I found quite enjoyable. It's quite different from the hustle and bustle around the Plaza Mayor.


My route map


The Arab Baths




Christmas has very much arrived here in Mallorca, although the weather would beg to differ-Sun everyday now and 17 degrees, it's like British Summer! Christmas Markets have popped up all over the city selling a wide variety of things from Smelly candles to Snapbacks, from crepes to churros and many other traditional Christmas gifts, arts and crafts. Not quite the spectacle one sees in Manchester each year but interesting nonetheless. The family have also been getting into the Christmas spirit which includes listening to translated or Catalan Christmas tunes in the car and on Thursday and Saturday we decorated Christmas trees at home in both Palma and Alcúdia. Friday was yet another bank holiday so being in the festive mood, we decided to go for a Christmassy cinema trip to see the new Disney film, Frozen. Unlike my previous cinema trip the week before, there was no subtitles to help me however I could largely follow and understand the dialogue so I'm proud of myself. It was also Marina's first ever cinema trip and she seem to really enjoy herself.

Nativity scene at the school where Simó plays Basketball

Ice skating in the Placa d'Espanya

The Plaza Mayor all Christmassed up


A stall on La Rambla

Paseo Maritimo markets

Christmas tree decorating



Us with the finished article

The Christmas tree in Alcúdia, I think there isn't enough tinsel on it...
After what was a rather relaxing weekend, I said goodbye to Alcúdia for the final time. I leave on Saturday so I won't have time for another weekend out of the city. I've grown to love the area and it will be really strange not walking out of the house in the morning to see the view of the bay of Pollenca and the surrounding mountains. Once we returned from Alcúdia on Sunday night we descended on Agua Bar once more so I could play one final gig before I return home. As expected, there wasn't much of a crowd there but I received some encouraging feedback on the new songs I was testing out which is always great to hear. HEADSUP, to anyone in Stockport or just the Great Manchester area or even further than that if you're reading this, I am playing a set at the Christmas Teenage Market event on Sunday 22nd at Stockport Market so make sure you come down to see me play a few tunes, check out the other acts performing (there's always several worth listening to) and see all the stools and other attractions that will be there. From past experience, it should be a great day that you don't want to miss. Here's a link to the Teenage Market website for more info.

Going to miss this view

That sunset

My final meal in Alcúdia, a traditional Christmas pasta dish

Sunday night in the centre of Palma, an explosion of lights

As it stands, there's just 4 days until I return home so I'll try to make the most of it. I've got some big news coming very soon which I may have given away slightly if you follow me on Twitter (@FraserPosford) but I will share it with you shortly. Here's a few random pictures to finish of this blogpost, see you in a week England!

FP

#Fraserontour

Bridge I made when we were playing Trains

Júlia with the tower we made together

Selfie-time with Marina

Radiohead set up an IT shop in Palma it seems

1 comment:

  1. not sure what you found useful but I'm glad I could help you :)

    ReplyDelete