Wednesday 30 October 2013

When The Folks Came To Stay

Hey everyone. As the halfway mark approaches of my stay in Mallorca, my parents and brother Ethan gave me a visit over the weekend. Here's what we got up to.

The 3 of them arrived in Mallorca on the Thursday however I didn't get to see them until Friday. This is because after sorting out their baggage collection and car hire at the airport, they couldn't enter the address of their hotel in Alcúdia into the sat nav which led to them spending the best part of an hour asking for directions around Alcúdia before eventually finding meaning that they had no time to visit me in Palma. Fortunately I was otherwise occupied as Thursday was a national strike over the TIL education laws which meant no school for Simó and Júlia but a day which included attending two demonstrations and forcing me to watch their favourite film-Teen Beach Movie. At both demonstrations outside the Institute of Education near our flat and on the Passeig de Born once more, there were members of the communist movement handing out information leaflets and carrying the red and yellow flags of the USSR. Along with the musicians playing traditional Mallorcan instruments such as bagpipes (they're not just in Scotland you know), this added extra flavour over the previous demos and it does make you wonder how restless people are getting over the current Spanish government especially due to how hard Spain has been hit by the credit crunch in recent years.

Communist flags on the Passeig De Born

Traditional Mallorcan Musicians playing at the earlier demo

Red flag of one of the communist group members
Despite arriving as I did into a country in turmoil, this didn't affect the rest of my family's stay in Mallorca and I was reunited with them late the following morning after having to power-walk across the city to meet them on the waterfront. In the early afternoon I became my family's personal Tour Guide/Translator, a role I played for the rest of the weekend, and took them around the various sites in the centre of Palma using the information I had gleaned from Pau's tour just a month before. My Dad was particularly interested in the street performers and illusionists that line the more touristy areas of the city especially the ones who appeared to be sitting cross-legged in mid-air holding nothing but a simple pole for support. We  figured out how the illusion works however in order not to ruin your entertainment, we shall keep our musings to ourselves but I'll leave you with the cheeky picture I took of one such illusionist.
Here's my picture of the illusionist, you're not supposed to take pictures of them without paying hence why I took this behind him. How rude!
The garden next to the Palacio Real, one of the most beautiful places in Palma


We found an open garden whilst walking around the city so I got some even nicer pictures


After having a relatively cheap lunch, we wondered along the harbour looking at the various expensive yachts and wondering how many million each would cost as well as spotting  a few sailing boats and a 'Pirate ship' out in the bay. We then jumped into the car and headed up the hill to visit Bellver Castle except this time I did get to enter and for 4 euros a ticket it most certainly worth it. Bizarrely enough for a Friday afternoon during half-term holiday week there was a real lack of tourists so we had the castle pretty much all to ourselves. Inside the main section, there is a large circular courtyard with various statues and bits of information about the castle through the ages then when you get to the top, the view is STUNNING. You can see the whole of Palma as well as the mountains in the distance and the coastal terrain just north of the City which at first left me speechless especially with the excellent weather we've had of late and Friday was by no means an exception. Needless to say, I took plenty of snaps.
The courtyard inside Bellver Castle

The view from the top minus me

Me with the view

80% of the family reunited 

Blogger caught in the act
The next day, now both me and my family were based out in Alcúdia, we decided to take a road trip into the mountains of the Serra de Tramuntana, Deia the destination of choice. My Dad is a big fan of the obscure, psychedelic, space rock band-Gong whose founder Daevid Allen used to live in the town so for him it was some kind of pilgrimage however for the rest of us Josep had described it as a 'must-see' in Mallorca due to its natural beauty. Despite getting slightly lost around Pollenca, we eventually found the road that twisted and wriggled its way through the mountain range offering some incredible vistas of the landscape around us. After stopping at various places along the road to soak in the atmosphere around us and to take some pictures we arrived in Deia feeling relieved as both Ethan and I had been getting queasy from all the winding mountainous roads and Dad had to concentrate not just because he was driving a european car on the wrong side of the road but because of the sheer difficulty of the narrow country roads. Deia is a quaint village perched on the side of the mountains that overlooks the sea below where many rich/famous people go to live in luxurious farm houses so there was a lot to admire about the place. We had lunch at a Trip Advisor recommended  restaurant in the centre of the village where there was a leafy green garden that was just begging for a photo op which all made for a really idyllic location. Overall, I can only describe the Serra de Tramuntana as breathtaking and is a place you should visit if you want a change of scene from the beaches and vibrant towns while in Mallorca. I think I will be heading back up into the mountains at the end of November for a weekend adventure with the family and some of their friends but I hope this isn't the last I see of this area while I'm here.

Tunnel vision
The port of Sóller taken from Mirador de Ses Barques
By a mountain reservoir


Deia

The garden of the restaurant where we had lunch


One happy Dad
After a mad rush back from the mountains, my parents dropped me off at the 'Poli' (sports centre) in Sa Pobla so that I could watch my first 'El Clasico' with Josep, Marta and Pau. The bar was filled with Barca fans like Marta and Josep with me as the only neutral and Pau as most likely the only Madrid fan (Marta claims he was changed at birth). The game was everything I expected with lots of drama, action and lots of Barca fans going through the inevitable emotional rollercoaster of it all. A 2-1 win for Barca meant for a satisfied audience (well, apart from Pau) especially considering how good Alexis Sanchez's breathtaking chip was that won the match. :O I then met up with my family again in the centre of Alcúdia to have another meal out and to spend some more quality time with them.

View of Puerto de Pollenca taken from the car

Early on Sunday Afternoon, I convinced my parents to visit Pollenca. Sundays in Mallorca seem to be Market Day so there was added interest for simple tourists like ourselves with Market stalls littered across the main square and the narrow alleys of the town. The last time I visited Pollenca with the French rellies during my first week in Mallorca I had wanted to climb up the stairway of Calvari, 365 cobbled steps that lead to a small chapel and more importantly an incredible view at the top, however French contingent deemed it to be too exhausting so we didn't make the ascent. This time I followed through with my wish and we embarked on the steep climb in the sweltering mid-October heat (about 29 degrees). It was much harder than I imagined due to the humidity yet I reached the summit with Ethan and my parents trailing behind me. The sound of Spanish guitars from two buskers welcomed me at the top with a few trees offering some much-needed shade and a viewing area overlooking Pollenca and its nearby Port by the sea. For some reason it all made me think of being in a country like Greece or Cyprus as it all seemed much too idyllic to be the Spain I know but I appreciated it all the same.

Flower stall in Pollenca



Start of the climb up Calvari

Spanish guitarists

The chapel

What a view!

King of the Hill
Before my family headed home that Sunday evening we had a sumptuous barbecue back at the house which was cooked expertly by Josep and Pau. There, my parents had the chance to chat with some of family members I have got to know over these past weeks while Ethan tested out the pool-making huge splashes in the process! For dessert we had 'Panellets', traditional catalan treats that Josep had made the night before which were very popular (the coconut ones were my favourite) and are subsequently my pick for FOOD OF THE WEEK. He says they are traditional to have around Halloween so we have been having a few throughout this week too. After the meal, I went back to Palma with my family firstly to prove to my Mum that I was keeping both my room in Palma and Alcúdia tidy and so I could say goodbye and wave them off before I next see them again for Christmas. I must admit my first bout of homesickness crept in slightly during the days that followed and I have noticed that although it hasn't been that long they have already changed slightly which is something I have never really noticed before. It won't be long till I'm back with them in the UK though. This is was Ethan's first trip to Spain and despite the fact he didn't really try any of the local cuisine and that he complained a lot of the time saying it was "too hot" he did give the conclusion that he liked the country though he didn't comment on whether it was better than our normal holiday destination-France.

BBQing at the house

FOOD OF THE WEEK: Panellets
 So that was my weekend. I hope my family enjoyed visiting me in Mallorca and that they think I haven't changed too much for the worse but more for the better while I've been here. I would just like to finish by making a disclaimer to my Gran who by no doubt is reading this post right now. Mum told me that she was worried that I was drinking and eating too much out here. I'm sorry Gran if I'm giving off the wrong impression. The truth is that many of the more exciting episodes that I have been writing about in my blog have indeed contained some form of food or drink. There have been plenty more mundane occasions in which I have been eating healthily and exercising regularly so when I arrive in Norfolk for Christmas I shall be in good shape!

FP

#FraserOnTour


  

No comments:

Post a Comment